Recently my son, Thomas, was talking to one of his friends about how a right relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ can bring reconciliation to God and power for successful living. Thomas said that it was as if his friend could not understand the words he was saying.
1 Corinthians 2:14 (NIV84) The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
As Thomas and I discussed his witnessing encounter with his friend, we began to talk about proofs of our faith. I realized that there are more than enough reasons to believe…But not so many reasons that makes faith unnecessary!!
Hebrews 11:6 (NIV84) And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
Thomas and I began to talk about some of the proofs of our faith—especially the proofs that are unique to those of us who have been reconciled to God through faith in Jesus Christ. This means that we only experience many of the most powerful proofs after we have believed. This is counter-intuitive.
PROOFS OF OUR FAITH—Here are a few of the proofs that I have for the reality of God in my life:
- The Fruit of the Spirit—There was a time when I would get angry easily. I asked God to give me victory over this area of my life. He taught me how to get myself under the control of the Holy Spirit and in the process I learned the truth of the supernatural power of the Spirit. I didn’t learn some anger management technique. Rather, when I learned to yield to the Holy Spirit, He immediately replaced my anger with love and joy and peace and patience. This is supernatural proof God is real!
Galatians 5:22–23a (NIV84) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control.
- Inexpressible Joy in the midst of tragedy—Last Sunday I described how after Donna had been killed I experienced deep, intense grief, and inexpressible joy at the same time. How could this be? It is inexplicable except in the supernatural power of God. This is supernatural proof God is real!
1 Peter 1:8 (NIV84) Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy,
- Forgiveness—I remember when the Lord made it clear to me that I had to forgive the man who killed Donna. As I processed all I had lost because of this man’s actions, I realized forgiveness was the only way forward. But I told the Lord that if I said I forgave him I would be lying. So I prayed, “Lord, I am willing to be made willing to forgive him.” The instant I said this, God flooded my heart with forgiveness. I was shocked by how quickly and completely God had given me the power to forgive! This is supernatural proof God is real!
Colossians 3:13b (NLT) …forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.
- Peace that Doesn’t Make Sense—The night my father died in his sleep our family stood in the kitchen praying even as the paramedics worked to revive him in the next room. As we prayed and thanked the Lord for the fact that my dad was at that moment in the presence of the Lord in heaven, God’s supernatural, unexplainable, unexpected peace settled down on us. In a moment of great grief, we were experiencing the peace of God. This is supernatural proof God is real!
Philippians 4:7 (NIV84) And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- The Holy Spirit Affirms Me as a Child of God—God does not want us to be in doubt about our eternal life. We shouldn’t have to worry about whether or not we have a relationship with the Lord. He wants us to know we have eternal life. That’s why the Holy Spirit confirms with our inner being that we are a child of God in right standing with the Father through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ. This confirmation of our standing before God is supernatural proof God is real!
Romans 8:16 (NIV84) The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
For the Unconvinced: I understand that these are proofs only for insiders…those of us who have a relationship with God. For those who don’t know the Lord, these “proofs” will seem subjective and unconvincing. For the skeptic who has already decided that God is irrelevant, no amount of evidence will convince them. It seems like foolishness to them. That’s why the Apostle Paul wrote,
1 Corinthians 1:18 (NIV84) For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
How to Find Your Proof—God will provide the proof to you if you will honestly seek Him. God will show you He is real if you are willing to approach Him by faith. That’s why God says,
Jeremiah 29:13 (NIV84) “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
There is more than enough proof for the person who wants to genuinely know the Lord. He will make Himself known to you. Then you will see what I have found…
Psalm 34:8 (NIV84) Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
Onward with evidence,