Dear Moms & Friends,
Happy Mother’s Day! What a joy it is to celebrate our moms! My Mom has been with the Lord these past 15 years, but her godly influence on me is felt every day.
As an encouragement for Mother’s Day, let’s look at Proverbs 31:10-31 for a description of a godly woman. This skillfully written poem is actually an acrostic where each line begins with the succeeding letter of the Hebrew alphabet…so we might call this “The ABC’s of a Godly Woman.”
I can’t think of a higher goal on this Mother’s Day than for women young and old to make it their goal to be a Proverbs 31 woman of God. By making this your aim, and relying on the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit, this goal is within your reach.
A godly wife is a precious find:
- 10Who can find a virtuous and capable wife? She is more precious than rubies.
She’s Faithfully Devoted to her husband
- 11-12 Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
- 13 She finds wool and flax and busily spins it.
She brings her family delightful surprises
- 14 She is like a merchant’s ship, bringing her food from afar.
She’s a Planner and Self-Starter
- 15 She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plan the day’s work for her servant girls.
She is Financially Competent
- 16 She goes to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard.
She is Strong and Energetic
- 17-19 She is energetic and strong, a hard worker. She makes sure her dealings are profitable; her lamp burns late into the night. Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber.
She is Generous and Compassionate
- 20 She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms to the needy.
She Trusts God and Prepares for the Future
- 21 She has no fear of winter for her household, for everyone has warm clothes.
She cares about her appearance—house & herself
- 22 She makes her own bedspreads. She dresses in fine linen and purple gowns.
She Honors her husband—This is actually the Central Thought of this Proverb
- 23 Her husband is well known at the city gates, where he sits with the other civic leaders.
She uses her Gifts and Talents
- 24 She makes belted linen garments and sashes to sell to the merchants.
She’s Dignified and Fearless
- 25 She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.
She Provides Wise Counsel
- 26 When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness.
Her Preparation gives her Confidence
- 27 She carefully watches everything in her household and suffers nothing from laziness.
She Receives the Praises of her Family
- 28-29 Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her:29“There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!”
Her Reverence for God makes her Beautiful
- 30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears theLordwill be greatly praised.
Her Legacy is her Honor
- 31 Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.
A CLOSING STORY: I was invited to say something on the witness stand at the sentencing hearing of the man who caused our crash in which my wife Donna was killed. It was a very stressful thing to do. I sat directly in front of the man who was responsible for the death of my wife. But it was more important to me that I could give a testimony of the godly woman Donna was, and of the Lord she loved so much. I had brought her Bible to the courtroom assured I was allowed to read from it.
Once seated in the witness chair I began, “It is important to me that the court has a record of the type of woman my wife was. This is her Bible. It was the goal of her life to be a ‘Proverbs 31 wife,’ which she said many times through our marriage. If you would look you could see that this the page on which Proverbs 31 is written is dirty and worn out…marked up and highlighted.”
I then read key passages from this amazing record of God’s truth. I finished by saying, “This is a description of my wife and the mother of my children. But because the Lord Jesus Christ has forgiven me, I forgive you…and it is my hope that you (I said his name), and you Mr. Defense Attorney, and you Mr. Prosecutor, and you, Your Honor, and everyone in this courtroom, would know the incredible forgiveness that is found in a relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ.”
I stepped down from the witness stand knowing that Proverbs 31 had been fulfilled in the life of Donna,
- 28-29, 31 Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her: “There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!” …Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.
May God bless all moms who desire to be a woman who honors our Lord!
Onward in the Lord’s strength,